Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Fishy Business..

For my first real post, I think I'm gonna tell the world about my fish. Yep, you read that right...

Some months ago, in that time at the end of summer where the hype is over but classes haven't started yet, my sister (Inbar) and I got bored. That's when we decided it would be a great idea to get a pet fish. See, we're not much for pets. I mean, I really do love animals, but here's a quick summary of the pet experience I've had:

1. When my sister was very young, my mom wanted to bribe her into throwing her pacifiers away. They made a deal; she throws the pacifiers, and my mom buys us a pet. Out of all pets, Inbar picks a rabbit.. I must have been 5 years old at the time, Inbar being 2 and our older sister, Maya, being 7. The poor thing. It didn't stand a chance... Within a couple weeks our parents took it away to a more... loving home.

2. A couple years ago, when I was still living in Israel, we were sitting in the living room, watching TV and eating chicken, when, through the glass door, I see a chicken walking around in the backyard. I thought I was imagining things, but there it was. At first we tried to shoo it away, but it kept coming back. It stayed there until we moved.

3. When I was a sophomore in high school, we bought a turtle. It was a suicidal turtle. You can also think of him as being "emo". How do I know this, might you ask? He had tears in his eyes very often (yeah, I didn't know turtles could cry either..). He also liked dark spaces (which I guess is normal for a turtle), and insisted on jumping off things. One time I even caught him with his head submerged in his bowl of water. I think he was trying to drown himself... Anyway, one day he simply Houdini-ed his way out of the fenced area we left him in outside, and ran away. Well, walked away...

Needless to say, we thought a fish would be a suitable pet for us...

At the pet shop, we fell in love with this beautiful betta, which we took home with us and named Zem. If anyone catches the reference here, you deserve a cookie! It is actually a character from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. A mattress, to be exact...

Zem, six months later, lives happily in his fish bowl. He enjoys staring at pebbles, playing follow, and making bubbles. He once tried to make friends with a Swedish fish..



And now the world knows about my fishie. You are a good pet, Zem!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment